Re: removing ftp:// from mirrors lists

On Tue, 19 Apr 2016, Axel Beckert wrote:

Mattias Wadenstein wrote:
On Tue, 19 Apr 2016, Axel Beckert wrote:
But before we do that we should think over our mirror CNAME scheme.

No.

Why?

Because the ftp.ccTLD.debian.org names will need to stay around for at least 3-5 years from now, even if we can come to a conclusion to rename things ASAP this afternoon.

For the complete reasoning:

We sometimes provide FTP for legacy reasons on ftp.acc.umu.se (aka ftp.se.debian.org), but if it breaks we certainly don't have any monitoring or any hurry in fixing it - unlike our production protocols HTTP and rsync. FTP also has significantly worse performance than HTTP.

The fact of it is that for many mirrors (and for the Debian mirror list checker), FTP is a deprecated legacy protocol that noone cares enough to fix anything for anymore, and any users lead into using it are users lead towards a worse user experience.

/Mattias Wadenstein