Re: removing ftp:// from mirrors lists

On Sat, 16 Apr 2016, Axel Beckert wrote:

> Peter Palfrader wrote:
> > talking to several mirror operators on IRC (including fewllow DSA
> > members), I get the impression that a lot of us would appreciate if we
> > could deprecate the FTP as a transport protocol.
>
> I currently don't see why. It's a service some of our mirrors offer.
> It doesn't hurt if it's there -- at least I can't find a reason why --
> and it adds choice for our users.

Because it's work.  And nobody does it.  And the fact is that the ftp
part of our mirror checker has been broken for *years* and *nobody* ever
noticed.

It's not just entries in some list that take no effort.

Also, with my DSA hat on, I don't want to run ftp daemons anymore.

I don't mind if other mirrors want to keep running ftp servers, that's
their call.  But we should not make them feel like it's any sort of
requirement, recommendation or even suggestion.  They MAY, but that's
about it.
--
                            |  .''`.       ** Debian **
      Peter Palfrader       | : :' :      The  universal
 https://www.palfrader.org/ | `. `'      Operating System