bandwidth and space required to sync a basic mirror

Hi,

I was wondering what were the basic requirements for running a mirror
these days.

Here is the information that I found:

Disk space
==========

This is well documented[1]. For a full mirror, the disk space required is
currently 886 GB. On top of that, you need to add 44 GB for security, 55
GB for backports and 15GB for "CD images". This adds up mysteriously to
1000GB - coincidence? :)

However, it is not clear how disk space is growing, so provisionning
such a server, even in the medium term (a year) could be difficult.

Munin/Cacti graph of the disk usage from an existing mirror for the last
year would be awesome here, for example.

 [1]: http://www.debian.org/mirror/size.en.html

Bandwidth for updates
=====================

It is unclear how much data is transfered on a daily or (ideally)
monthly basis for updates to the archive. I found a graph[2] which seem
to show the size transfered varies between 2 and 15 GB on a daily basis,
but that data is old (2012-08-12) and it's hard to get a good idea of
what it actually means - what's the average, for example? Or better,
what's the 95th percentile?

 [2]: https://ftp-master.debian.org/size-quarter.png

Bandwidth for users
===================

I assume this is the hardest part to figure out, as this will vary
wildly according to the region you're in and the relative popularity of
your mirror.

The official mirror page[3] states that you need a "T1 or better" (for
the record and those who weren't around in those days, a T1 is
1.5Mbit/s). I hardly think this requirement is fit for a public mirror
these days. :) The official page does mention this requirement is
"higher" for "developped countries", but fails to clarify that
requirement.

 [3]: http://www.debian.org/mirror/official.en.html

Of course, this is hard to figure out. But pointers about how the
biggest *and* the smaller mirrors per continent generally take right now
would be useful. Again, bandwidth graphs would be incredibly useful.

Cheers,

A.

--
It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only
do little. Do what you can.