Re: bandwidth and space required to sync a basic mirror

Hi, *,

On 11/20/2013 01:31 PM, anarcat wrote:
Bandwidth for users
===================

I assume this is the hardest part to figure out, as this will vary
wildly according to the region you're in and the relative popularity of
your mirror.

The official mirror page[3] states that you need a "T1 or better" (for
the record and those who weren't around in those days, a T1 is
1.5Mbit/s). I hardly think this requirement is fit for a public mirror
these days. :) The official page does mention this requirement is
"higher" for "developped countries", but fails to clarify that
requirement.

  [3]: http://www.debian.org/mirror/official.en.html

Of course, this is hard to figure out. But pointers about how the
biggest *and* the smaller mirrors per continent generally take right now
would be useful. Again, bandwidth graphs would be incredibly useful.

Cheers,

A.

I think we can contribute some data from the smaller mirrors as we are one. A fair amount of its traffic is generated from the redirector (http.d.n). The mirror carries i386 only for /debian/ and the full archive for /debian-backports/.

mirror: noodle.portalus.net
Push-triggered.
Located in the US.

/debian-backports/
http://noodle.portalus.net/deb_graphs/debian-backportsday.png
http://noodle.portalus.net/deb_graphs/debian-backportsmonth.png
http://noodle.portalus.net/deb_graphs/debian-backportsweek.png
http://noodle.portalus.net/deb_graphs/debian-backportsyear.png

/debian/
http://noodle.portalus.net/deb_graphs/debianday.png
http://noodle.portalus.net/deb_graphs/debianmonth.png
http://noodle.portalus.net/deb_graphs/debianweek.png
http://noodle.portalus.net/deb_graphs/debianyear.png

Regarding disk space I have the size of the archives in raw form from 3/18/2012 from a cron job that notes directory sizes, if anyone wants or needs it.

-Donald