Re: bandwidth and space required to sync a basic mirror

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 01:31:00PM -0500, anarcat wrote:
> I was wondering what were the basic requirements for running a mirror
> these days.
>
> Here is the information that I found:

You can also find stats provided by mirrors at:
https://wiki.debian.org/Statistics

> Disk space
> ==========
[..]
> However, it is not clear how disk space is growing, so provisionning
> such a server, even in the medium term (a year) could be difficult.

Indeed, either provided by mirror team or ftp-masters.

> Bandwidth for updates
> =====================
[..]
>  [2]: https://ftp-master.debian.org/size-quarter.png

Same as above, would be more reliable on dak side I think (or we need to parse
rsync logs).

> Bandwidth for users
> ===================
>
> I assume this is the hardest part to figure out, as this will vary
> wildly according to the region you're in and the relative popularity of
> your mirror.

We could measure the bandwidth on http.d.n (assuming it will get the most part
of incoming requests).

> The official mirror page[3] states that you need a "T1 or better" (for
> the record and those who weren't around in those days, a T1 is
> 1.5Mbit/s). I hardly think this requirement is fit for a public mirror
> these days. :)

Yeah, updated, thanks for the notice, replaced with 100Mbps.

> The official page does mention this requirement is "higher" for "developped
> countries", but fails to clarify that requirement.

I may mention 1Gbps