Re: Timeout errors from ftpsync (kassia.debian.org)

Hello,

On 2/25/2011 6:52 PM, Rob Gallagher wrote:
On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 14:50:45 +0000
HEAnet Mirror Admin<mirrors@heanet.ie>  wrote:

Also, I notice that the timeouts always occur during the second stage
rsync. Looking at the transfer logs, here is the last file transferred
before we get disconnected:

dists/wheezy/non-free/source/Sources.diff/Index

Actually, one other pattern that I'm noticing is that we consistently
get disconnected approx. 30 minutes after that last file is
transferred.

This pattern has been re-occuring for at least the last 10 ftpsync runs,
which suggests that a predefined timeout is being triggered somewhere.
The rsync timeout on our side is 3600 seconds however.

Attaching strace to the currently running rsync, it appears to have
finished transferring files and has entered the delete stage. Could it
be taking too long to trawl through the directories?

Yes, it could.

I had experienced the same problem with one of my downstream mirrors. I noted that their rsync timed out in about 10 minutes of "inactivity" (according to strace of my rsync daemon) on the second stage. Some time before that I set timeout in my rsyncd.conf to 600 seconds and this was the reason why their side was disconnected. Also I have to note that this downstream mirror had very slow disk storage.

Mitry.