offtopic: mtr losing (was Re: where to sync from?)

Josip Rodin (joy@entuzijast.net) wrote on 22 March 2007 08:23:
 >See, that's where mtr came in handy. You may not have been getting actual
 >loss when directing ping packets via ICMP, but the UDP traceroute packets
 >with lower priority are getting lost. Packets get lost when the intervening
 >routers drop them in order to slow you down. mtr usually helps determine
 >which routers do that.

This is unlikely. I tested from my desktop machine. It's connected to
the gateway through two switches. It's not loaded, the switches are
not loaded and the connection between them is gigabit; my machine is
100Mb/s. They're level 2 only, without priorities. I got the highest
drop rate from this switch, so numbers of the order of 20% are really
strange.

Anyway, this is not important for the question of where to mirror from.