Re: where to sync from?

Josip Rodin (joy@entuzijast.net) wrote on 21 March 2007 22:44:
 >> There are two issues remaining: pushing and CDs. For now we don't
 >> mirror the CDs, but we expect to have this done in about two weeks
 >> (via jigdo only, so that the mirror we sync from doesn't get hit).
 >>
 >> The second point is push-mirroring. We have everything set up for it
 >> (account created, public key installed, script in place, etc.). All
 >> that's left is to ask another mirror to activate the pushing.
 >
 >Well, only the second part is really required to be a top-notch primary
 >mirror; because the CD images are so demanding and yet mostly pointless,
 >they are not a requirement.

Might be but having a fast download for a CD is very important for a
first install, and therefore to increase the popularity of Debian. For
the moment we can spend about 600GB with CDs.

 >> If we become primary we should sync from ftp-master, no?
 >
 >Not necessarily, but in your case that would be a good option, because your
 >continent doesn't have any Push-Primary mirrors yet.

So how can we do it???

 >> Now we sync from ftp.de.debian.org. This is due to the old non-US problem.
 >> Besides, we have a good link with Europe as well as the US; syncing from
 >> them hasn't been a problem.
 >>
 >> Who and how should we ask to do push mirroring?
 >
 >Exactly how good is your link with Europe compared to the one with the US?

 >A common test that I used to run is to run mtr to the destination site and
 >see if there is anything sticking out; and then run something like

I tried mtr for the first time. Nice but not reliable(?!?!). From my
machine (not in the same site as the mirror) to our gateway it reports
16-22% of packet loss!! This is nonsense, real packet loss is zero
(tried ping -f to confirm).

 >wget -O /dev/null http://<site>/debian/pool/main/k/kde-i18n/kde-i18n_3.5.6.orig.tar.gz
 >And leave it running until a pattern is established. That particular
 >file is used simply because it's huge (~300 MB) so you won't run out
 >of bytes before being able to see a pattern; you can interrupt it
 >once it stops fluctuating, obviously.

There's no pattern unfortunately. The rate varies between 250K/s to
about 2M/s with the US. Over the full file our connection to
ftp.us.debian.org (128.101.240.212) is faster: 1.31M/s, versus 1.04M/s
to Europe. There are also less hops. I don't have access to
ftp-master, of course.

 >BTW, what's your /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_wmem like?

Now it's the default, 4096    65536   16777216. Some time ago we
fiddled a lot with it and other parameters but after we put 8GB of ram
we didn't see any difference any more.