Re: MIPS64EL port box is ready for use (Was: mips64el port build failed list)

On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 7:05 PM, Graham Whaley <graham.whaley@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 25 October 2013 17:22, YunQiang Su <wzssyqa@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> After more than half of a year's hard work, we have the mips64el port
>> almost done.
>> Now we have more than 7600 packages build successfully.
>> The current build status can be found in http://vip.moonux.org/attempted/
>

> Hey! - well done. That's quite some effort!
>

>> Now I get a new board and give it 18GiB DDR3 memory and 1TB hardisk.
>> Most important is that it is running a Debian Unstable, MIPS64EL.
>

> Nice. Can I ask which board that is? I have some boards reserved for me in
> Loongson that I am highly likely to purchase, and suspect (but would like to
> confirm) that they are the same board that you are using. I will also check
> on any further availability. If I can I will donate one/some of these for
> Debian as well.
I prefer that you don't purchase this model of board: I can even not
use the power
button of chassis. Maybe that you can purchase a newer model.
If  IPMI is available, it will be much better.

>> Anyone has need to port package(s) can apply a account.
>> Please post me your ssh public key signed by a trust-able PGP key.
>>
>> I also working on make a rootfs to make it easy to install this port.
>>
>> Here we still have 2 problems:
>>    1. I believe that it is time of use to talk about how to make this
>> port to debian-ports.org.
>>         Anyone can help us?
>
> One of the issues will be hardware availability. If I can source the above
> boards (which it looks like I can), then I can help with that. Also, we are
> trying out the Loongson 2F mini-PC's, expanding their RAM to their maximum
> (which may only be 1Gbyte, but we hope 2Gbyte), and adding SSD's. If that
> works out then they are cheaper, available, and we can relatively easily
> build a small farm of those for (donated to) Debian I hope.
Great news.
Without DMA, my current WD blue disk has a speed about 50MB/s.

>>    2. Which ISA  to be used for this port when it is in debian-ports.
>>         Now we use mips64r2 with tune loongson3a.
>>         Should we downgrade ISA requirement to mips3 or mips64?
>>

> Much though I would love to say go with MIPS64R2, I suspect for the main
> debian-ports.org upload that is not the best single choice. The Loongson 2F
> cores are MIPSIII I believe, as are some other platforms. I have a suspicion
> that some of the Broadcom chips for instance are MIPS32R1.
> I would suggest that we go with MIPSIII for the first mips64le upload, and
> then we can work on MIPS32R2 for the 'unofficial ports' to begin with. What
> do you think ?
It is also my opinion. Use MIPSIII can make more people use it, and we can
work with some of other unofficial ports.