Re: Lemote YeeLoong (Loongson 2F) in Squeeze

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 09:16:51PM +1030, Karl Goetz wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 09:33:22 +0000
> Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir@cohens.org.il> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 04:37:44PM +1030, Karl Goetz wrote:

> > > The relevant xorg driver is in a "poor state".
> >
> > I'm using the fbdev xorg driver.
>
> I should have been clear, I was referring to the siliconmontion driver.
> the framebuffer should work, and (aiui) should even be somewhat
> accelerated in .32+

> > > Seems I was off with the merge kernels - trying to start in .33 and
> > > the rest in .34 (hopefully). I've not double checked that, so take
> > > it with a grain of salt.
> >
> > So which kernel tree should I use?
> >

> Frankly, I suggest the kernel packages from gNewSense if they work with
> the rest of your system.[1][2]
>
> I don't know if these threads [3] are what you need to know, but I've
> not been following the mipsel stuff closely for the last few weeks.
> kk
>

> [1] Not because I'm involved, but because I know its only a few steps
> behind what lemotes doing.
> [2] You may find the gNS dev list posts related to mipsel/yeloong worth
> reading.
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnewsense-dev/2009-12/threads.html
> [3] eg
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnewsense-dev/2009-12/msg00176.html

I tried to figure out from your patches what are actual changes vs.
2.6.33 (as opposed to merely backports, which seems to be most of it).
So I ended up using the Lemote kernel tree, after merging back the linus
2.6 tree.

I also enabled the staging driver sm7xx for the display adapter. Any way
to avoid building it into the kernel? Otherwise I don't seem to get a
console.

It seems to hang after working for a while. Though maybe this is
something to do with attempting to play video (video playback doesn't
work well).

The webcam only seems to work with luvcview and not with anything else I
tried.

As I want to aim for a system supported in squeeze: any idea if squeeze
would have 2.6.32 or 2.6.33?

Another issue: surprisingly powertop actually works there. But it keeps
showing the system using the full clock clock frequency of 800Mhz. I
have not yet tried to build the kernel with CONFIG_TIMER_STATS to see if
there are any offenders. But I don't suspect so (I have not tried to
install DAHDI yet, which will be such an offender).

I see that the module loongson2_cpufreq is loaded. Anything else I'm
missing?