Re: Lemote YeeLoong (Loongson 2F) in Squeeze

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 02:04:53PM +1030, Karl Goetz wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 13:27:56 +0000
> Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir@cohens.org.il> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I got a new Lemote YeeLoong laptop.
> >
> > The existing Debian apt repositories at dev.lemote.com is a bit
> > disapointing, and I wanted to try it with Squeeze. This brings up
> > several issues:
> >
> > 1. Any equivalent of a live CD? Any way to e.g. boot a kernel+initrd
> > system from the network?
>
> This is two seperate questions - afaik in order the answers are no
> and yes.
>
> > 2. Can I upgrade the existing userspace packages to the ones from a
> > standard Debian apt source? Is it compatible with the mipsel port?
>
> Mostly, some stuffs been hacked to support the yeeloong.
>
> > 3. If the answer to (2) is "yes": what kernel can I use?Any existing
> > kernel package anywhere? Use the one from
> > http://medan.cinnamonpirate.com/ ?
>
> 2.6.32 has the first dose of yeeloong stuff merged iirc, .33 should
> finish it. perhaps use the kernel source used by gNS?

Update: Squeeze (mipsel) packages installed and seem to work well.
I got the package 2.6.27.1-medan from the above repository, and wifi now
works (video doesn't seem to work, though).

It also has frame-buffer suppor for the display adapter, which I don't
see in the current (2.6.33-rc1) kernel: CONFIG_FB_SILICONMOTION

I tried, optimistically, to build 2.6.33-rc1. It built fine (except from
impi, that failed building). However it fails to boot. The screen blanks
immediately and after a very short while the caps-lock led start
blinking.

Should it be possible to use 2.6.33? RCs of 2.6.33?