Re: Lemote YeeLoong (Loongson 2F) in Squeeze

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 09:33:22 +0000
Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir@cohens.org.il> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 04:37:44PM +1030, Karl Goetz wrote:
> > On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 21:17:07 +0000
> > Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir@cohens.org.il> wrote:

> > > Update: Squeeze (mipsel) packages installed and seem to work well.
> > > I got the package 2.6.27.1-medan from the above repository, and
> > > wifi now works (video doesn't seem to work, though).
> >
> > The relevant xorg driver is in a "poor state".
>
> I'm using the fbdev xorg driver.

I should have been clear, I was referring to the siliconmontion driver.
the framebuffer should work, and (aiui) should even be somewhat
accelerated in .32+

> > > It also has frame-buffer suppor for the display adapter, which I
> > > don't see in the current (2.6.33-rc1) kernel:
> > > CONFIG_FB_SILICONMOTION
> > >
> > > I tried, optimistically, to build 2.6.33-rc1. It built fine
> > > (except from impi, that failed building). However it fails to
> > > boot. The screen blanks immediately and after a very short while
> > > the caps-lock led start blinking.
> > >
> > > Should it be possible to use 2.6.33? RCs of 2.6.33?
> >
> > Seems I was off with the merge kernels - trying to start in .33 and
> > the rest in .34 (hopefully). I've not double checked that, so take
> > it with a grain of salt.
>
> So which kernel tree should I use?

Frankly, I suggest the kernel packages from gNewSense if they work with
the rest of your system.[1][2]

I don't know if these threads [3] are what you need to know, but I've
not been following the mipsel stuff closely for the last few weeks.
kk

[1] Not because I'm involved, but because I know its only a few steps
behind what lemotes doing.
[2] You may find the gNS dev list posts related to mipsel/yeloong worth
reading.
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnewsense-dev/2009-12/threads.html
[3] eg
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnewsense-dev/2009-12/msg00176.html