Re: MIPS kernel snapshot testing

Thomas Bogendoerfer wrote:
On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 05:12:46AM +0300, Jimmy Angelakos wrote:
A reminder: The live CD's hdparm claimed 61 MB/s cache reads but the same kernel only claimed 29 MB/s on the installed system.
so it's depending on the hdparm binary itself ?

Perhaps. I used to think that on an idle system the hdparm cached speed should reflect the RAM's speed, and that's why I found 29 MB/s too slow, surely the O2's RAM can do better than that.

However in the past few days I ran hdparm -T on my desktop machine and came up with a cache speed of 6,5 GB/s! My RAM is fast but definitely not that fast.

If that behaviour is not normal, perhaps we should file a bug with the hdparm team?

I don't a real bad spot, just some numbers up, a few others down.

Yes, they're pretty consistent results, considering the kernels are different too.

Thomas.

Cheers
Jimmy