Re: Easy x86 based installer?

Paul Richards wrote:
> Hi,
> I've got a Cobalt Qube 2 currently running NetBSD.  I've been having a
> few stability problems (a known issue with NetBSD on Cobalt right now)
> and I'm seeking alternatives.
>
> There was a neat CD I found for NetBSD with which you boot up an x86
> box and it has all the necessary TFTP/NFS stuff configured to lead you
> though an install on the Qube.  Is there anything similar to get
> Debian installed easily?  In my searches I have only found
> instructions on how to manually configure the TFTP/NFS stuff.

I haven't heard of such a CD, but setting up TFTP and NFS isn't that
complicated if you have a Linux box as server around.

http://www.cyrius.com/debian/cobalt/ has a howto which explains what
to do.

> Also..  Assuming I install Debian, is it currently stable on Cobalt or
> am I likely to run into the same mild instability problems that I
> currently have with NetBSD?  NetBSD currently hangs the machine every
> 2 or 3 weeks.

There is one gross problem with the current sarge kernel, on some
hardware revisions (specifically: the revision of the Galileo chip)
networking is broken and completely unusable. The current workaround
is to install the kernel package from unstable at the end of the
installers "base system installation" step.

For a sarge Cobalt system with the kernel from unstable I haven't heard
of instabilities.

Thiemo