Re: Easy x86 based installer?

On Sun, 2005-10-23 at 23:24 +0200, Karsten Merker wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 23, 2005 at 09:20:17PM +0100, Paul Richards wrote:
>
> > There was a neat CD I found for NetBSD with which you boot up an x86
> > box and it has all the necessary TFTP/NFS stuff configured to lead you
> > though an install on the Qube.  Is there anything similar to get
> > Debian installed easily?
>
> Not that I know of - the Debian install assumes you have a machine
> configured to provide DHCP and NFS already.
>
> > Also..  Assuming I install Debian, is it currently stable on Cobalt or
> > am I likely to run into the same mild instability problems that I
> > currently have with NetBSD?  NetBSD currently hangs the machine every
> > 2 or 3 weeks.
>
> I do not experience stability problems with Debian on my RaQ,
> but on the other hand I don't run the system 24/7, so I
> cannot say anything about longer uptimes.
>
> Regards,
> Karsten
> --
> #include <standard_disclaimer>
> Nach Paragraph 28 Abs. 3 Bundesdatenschutzgesetz widerspreche ich der Nutzung
> oder Uebermittlung meiner Daten fuer Werbezwecke oder fuer die Markt- oder
> Meinungsforschung.

I don't have any problems here with the uptime, except for a dad who
screws up the electric every now and then ;). Usually uptimes around
60 / 100 days. Only had a few minor problems with new kernel images,
which caused my network to lock up, but seems to be fixed now.
Also the network performance is much worst than with netbsd in my
experience (with debian: 2.8 MB/s as max speed, with Netbsd usually
managed a nice 8 MB/s)