Re: Problems running XFree86 4.2.1.1 (Debian 4.2.1-6) at 1024x768 on Indy

Quoting Guido Guenther <agx@debian.org>:

> You're not seriously suggesting this as a solution for the driver, do
> you? What if someone cleared the buffer, or the message got dropped out
> of the buffer due to iptables filling your logs? Should we then parse
> /var/log/dmesg?  And /var/log/messages on other distibutions?
> Furthermore we want to do that in a OS independent way anyway since
> NetBSD has some support for IP22 too.

True, that's one aspect I hadn't considered.  It was a quick fix to the problem
I had at the time.  It seems to work most of the time, but yeah, a _real_
solution would be better.

> look for NewportModeInit in the newport driver (newport_driver.c). I
> have a patch here to fix this properly already, just need to wait for
> the compile to finish and to test it.

Shall do, if I get a moment.  For the moment, I'll use vncserver & log in
remotely.  This is no drama.  Just ties up another machine.  I was hoping to
have this problem licked before this weekend (we'll be using this box as an MP3
jukebox for a LAN), but I've got a workaround in place for the moment.

On a sidenote: I've got Samba running now - smbfs wasn't installed (DOH!)

| Stuart Longland           stuartl at longlandclan.hopto.org |
| Brisbane Mesh Node: 719             http://stuartl.cjb.net/ |
| I haven't lost my mind - it's backed up on a tape somewhere |
| Griffith Student No:           Course: Bachelor/IT (Nathan) |