Re: A few Decstation questions.

On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 03:08:34PM -0400, Len Sorensen wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 08:14:50PM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:

> Yep.  I don't have a monitor for the other card I have, which is a
> PMAGB-B color card.  That and the PMAD-AA network card which I will want
> to make work at some point to make the machine into a firewall. :)  I
> wonder if a /133 with 128MB or a /240 with 112MB is a better choice of
> machine for running X, and the other for a firewall.

The /240 is definitely faster - higher CPU clock and double TurboChannel
clock rate compared with a /133. Main problem with X is currently that X
itself works, but the keyboard support is broken in X. Thiemo has been
working on a modified keyboard driver, but the last one I tried did not work
on my box. Thiemo, any news on this?

> Should this apply agains 2.4.19?

It was made against against an early CVS snaphot of 2.4.19.

> Hmm, speaking of 2.4.19, I tried to apply kernel-patch-2.4.19-mips
> agains plain 2.4.19 source, and it claims everything is either already
> applied, or that it is a reversed patch.  Maybe I applied it implicitly
> somehow.  I am still working on that part.

The current patch is against the Debian kernel-source-2.4.19-5 package.
Excerpt from the changelog:

kernel-patch-2.4.19-mips (2.4.19-0.020911.6) unstable; urgency=low

  * first round of getting R3K to work with glibc 2.3.1
  * rediff against 2.4.19-5
  * Karsten:
    - added fix/modified driver for the PMAD-AA TurboChannel ethernet
      board and the DECstation 5000/200 onboard ethernet interface
      (fixes non-working ethernet on DECstation 5000/200 and
      on systems that have both onboard ethernet and a PMAD-AA card)

Regards,
Karsten
--
#include <standard_disclaimer>