Re: A few Decstation questions.

On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 12:19:27PM -0400, Len Sorensen wrote:

> First of all, has anyone solved the problem with ll/sc emulation needed
> for glibc 2.3.1 in sarge yet?  2.4.17 and 2.4.19 certainly do not seem
> to have emulation working.

Guido Guenther (agx@d.o.) has done some work on backporting the ll/sc emu to
the kernel-patch-2.4.19-mips package in unstable, but AFAIK it is not yet
complete. You can try a current 2.4 kernel cvs from cvs.linux-mips.org,
although a lot of rather radical changes are committed to the cvs currently,
so the cvs might be broken from time to time.

> Also, is it possible to run a modem on ttyS1 (I assume this is the name
> of the port labeled '1' on the back, I run the console on ttyS2 labeled
> '2' on the back).  So far it isn't working, giving about the same
> behaviour I would expect from an incorrect irq setting, or an irq
> conflict (ttyS0 and ttyS1 both claim to be on irq 14, while ttyS2 is irq
> 15).

ttyS0 and ttyS1 can be mouse and keyboard, depending on your DECstation
model. Which DECstation do you have? Neither my 5000/1xx nor my 5000/240
have a serial port labeled "1" and the console port is labeled "3" there.

> And finally, does anyone know if there is any work being done on the
> PMAG-AA in linux?  It works fine in NetBSD of course, and I did find a
> reference to someone making it work for linux at a developers conference
> (no links to code though).  I suppose I could try to write it myself
> given the working NetBSD code, and the other console drivers in linux
> for the other decstation FBs.  I dread the idea of doing kernel compiles
> on this machine though. :)

We have a preliminary driver, but there are still some issues with the
general framebuffer driver framework as we found out that a PMAD-AA
behaves a bit different from what you expect from a standard mono
framebuffer. Besides we only have one such card which makes distributed
work on the driver quite difficult. Joey (joey@d.o.) has the lastest
driver source. I hope we can tackle the driver again on the next developer
meeting.

Regards,
Karsten
--