Re: First strike !

On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 09:39:02PM -0800, Dominik Behr wrote:
> Hi Guido
> > Hi Dominik,
> > On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 02:28:28AM -0800, Dominik Behr wrote:
> > [..snip..]
> > > Here is patch to restore default palette from kernel when exiting X.
> > > This code detects if the palette is all black. In this case it sets
> > > default palette.
> > I'm seeing a problem with this. My experiments showed that the palette
> > is not always just black(0x0). I also observered other values(mostly
> > 0xA), so the patch will fail then.
> indeed
> of course we can unconditionally use default palette. i believe there
> are no programs that run on Indy and change palette in console mode.
> (there is plenty of console/framebuffer programs for linux but they can
> not run on Indy)
At least as long as we don't build kind of a pseudo fb into the kernel,
which is not likely to happen soon. I'm not that happy with restoring the
palette unconditionally. In fact the newport driver once did that and I
removed the code. I'd really like to get the bug fixed once and for all.
Workarounds have the tendency to stay around forever. You said you have
some SGI guys at work, isn't there anybody who knows what the problem
could be? I running out of clues why we can't read back the palette. I
can write and read back other registers on the same chips without
problems only the palette registers seem to fail.
 -- Guido