Re: Decstation 5000/240 mop boot

On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 01:35:15PM -0500, Disconnect wrote:
> I just got a decstation 5000/240 w/ a cdrom but no hdd and have been
> trying to set it up for nfsroot (under any os).  The firmware version
> (KN03-AA V5.1b) is listed by netbsd as not being tftp-capable (and a
> brief test seemed to support that.)
>
> Using mopd to load a variety of linux kernels (both r3k and r4k, debian
> versions, versions off the web, etc) all result in an identical TLBS
> (tlb store) error. (The guys on #mipslinux suggest that sounds like a
> wrong-endian or wrong-cpu issue..)

Are the linux kernels build with a MOP header on them? AIUI MOP needs a 512
byte (or so) header which describes the file. If you try to boot a kernel
without it you will get messages something like that.

I'd like to boot my 2100 using MOP rather than tftp, not because the box won't
actually do tftp but because Linux 2.4 generates UDP headers that it doesn't
like :(

I haven't tried the NetBSD kernels since I moved to Linux 2.4 and tftp broke. I
know they have a mop header builder for kernels but I think I've only seen it
used for their VAX port, VAXes generally will only netboot using MOP.

patrick