Nec MobilePro 800/Independent Study

I apologize if this message is a little bit off topic:

I have been meaning for some time to setup a cross development
environment to see if I could begin working on getting linux running on
my mobilepro 800.  My understanding from a variety of scattered sources
is that I might be able to get as far as actually booting the kernel and
accessing the system through a serial console.  However, I have not had
the time to make any serious attempts in this direction.

Here comes the second issue at hand.  I have taken a one hour
independent study course this semester in which I am supposed to come up
with a project related to the mips architecture we have been studying.
I intend to submit a project proposal by next week.  Bearing in
mind the project is not meant to be too huge, does anyone have any ideas
of projects that would allow me to help the port of linux to the
mobilepro?  Theses could involve programming, either mips assembly or C,
or testing and debugging.  However, I would prefer the former.  I
realize the goals are somewhat vague but I am weary of submitting a
proposal and then finding out two weeks later that I need much more time
then just half a semester to complete the project.  Any help is greatly
appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Jesse W. Hathaway