Re: Problem installing woody on an Indigo2

On Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 01:22:54PM +0000, Mat Withers wrote:
[..snip..]
> one problem though - now when it gets to extract the last package (whiptail) I get the following error "Failure trying to run: chroot /target dpkg --force-auto-select --force-overwrite --force"
It seems debootstrap failed to configure the packages. I wonder why the
installer continued.  Can you spawn a shell from within the installer and
check which packages are unconfigured - I fear there might be lots of
them.

> /var/log/messages reports the following
>
> Oct  9 19:04:07 (none) user.info dbootstrap[49]: running '/usr/sbin/debootstrap --boot-floppies --arch mips sid /target http://ftp.uk.debian.org:80/debian'
> Oct  9 19:31:27 (none) user.err dbootstrap[49]: Failure trying to run: chroot /target dpkg --force-auto-select --force-overwrite --force
> Oct  9 19:31:56 (none) user.info init: Process '/sbin/dbootstrap' (pid 49) exited.  Scheduling it for restart.
>
> is this important ?
>
> also, after finishing the install and rebooting the Indigo2 boots off it's hard disk fine - gets as far as:
>
> Starting system log daemon: syslogd.
> Starting kernel log daemon: klogd.
> Starting internet superserver: inetd.
> Starting deferred execution scheduler: atd.
> Starting periodic command scheduler: cron.
>
> and then stops - any ideas ? I recon I must be almost there !
This looks like a messed up inittab. Try booting into single user by
passing `single' on the command line and have a look at the inittab I'll
bet base-config only gets spawned on tty0 not ttyS0. This might be
caused by a misconfigured base-config package due to the debootstrap
failure. You can try to finish the install using "base-config" in single
user then.
 -- Guido

There's more recent boot-floppies package at:
 http://honk.physik.uni-konstanz.de/~agx/linux-mips/debian/bootdisks/
This is the current 3.0.16 build. I did not upload it into the archive
since I have no time to test it and nobody else did so far. It has a
newer deboostrap which might solve your problem.