Re: Linux on DECStation

On Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 01:57:43PM +1030, Guo-Rong Koh wrote:

> Can a DECStation 5000/25 run Linux without need for a serial console
> (ie use the framebuffer)?

Currently not really - there is support for the Maxine onboard framebuffer,
the PMAG-B and the PMAGB-B, but currently no working keyboard support
for the LK501.

To test the framebuffer support - have you tried compiling only
support for the framebuffer type you need into the kernel?
If you have both maxinefb and PMAG-B support compiled in, and both
types of framebuffer are present, the kernel uses maxinefb as console
device by default.

Besides this, current Linux/MIPS kernels seem to be broken on at least
my DECstations (probably somewhere in the TLB handling, but I have not
found enough time to track this down exactly).

HTH,
Karsten
--
#include <standard_disclaimer>