Re: Curious as to the status of the MIPS port...

On Thu, Aug 03, 2000 at 02:46:37PM -0400, Christopher C. Chimelis wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Aug 2000, Martin Schulze wrote:
>
> > "el" stands for "little endian", which means that there are two ports
> > for MIPS processors out there, DEC station are little endian and SGI
> > machines are big endian, iirc.
>
> Ah, ok...yeah, makes sense.  Are the little endian processors in the
> DECstations also 64-bit?  If so, I'm wondering if I can cross-compile from

Yep - There are R3000 and R4000 Decstations - As Decstations are
always little endian (Like all the Mips based PDAs) we could have a
64Bit OS. Although i dont this makes sense - We will only do 64Bit kernel
i think - But not for the Decstation.

> Alpha (which is also little-endian) or from a big endian MIPS.

Yes you can ...

> Once I get ahold of it, I'll know more.  I've been trying to talk my dad
> into giving me this machine for years and he's now coming around :-)  He
> knows nothing about the details of the hardware, so I'll have to wait to
> see the machine before knowing for sure it's an Indy and not a Challenge
> server or something...

Challenge S should work also AFAIK - Indy and Indigo2 are fine.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff		flo@rfc822.org		      	+49-5201-669912
     "If you're not having fun right now, you're wasting your time."