Re: Curious as to the status of the MIPS port...

Christopher C. Chimelis wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Aug 2000, Martin Schulze wrote:
>
> > It's going on but only slowly.  sid/main/binary-mips(el)? does not
> > contain a single package, although a good portion of packages is
> > already ported.
>
> Being totally oblivious to MIPS at this stage, what's the difference
> between mips and mipsel?

"el" stands for "little endian", which means that there are two ports
for MIPS processors out there, DEC station are little endian and SGI
machines are big endian, iirc.

> > Every active developer is good for the port.
>
> Great!  If I can get my hands on the Indy and it bootstraps ok, I'll start

Will be big endian, if I'm not mistaken.  The others shall correct
me, they know more about the hardware.

Regards,

	Joey

--
No question is too silly to ask, but, of course, some are too silly
to answer.   -- Perl book