Re: Curious as to the status of the MIPS port...

On Thu, 3 Aug 2000, Martin Schulze wrote:

> "el" stands for "little endian", which means that there are two ports
> for MIPS processors out there, DEC station are little endian and SGI
> machines are big endian, iirc.

Ah, ok...yeah, makes sense.  Are the little endian processors in the
DECstations also 64-bit?  If so, I'm wondering if I can cross-compile from
Alpha (which is also little-endian) or from a big endian MIPS.

> Will be big endian, if I'm not mistaken.  The others shall correct
> me, they know more about the hardware.

Once I get ahold of it, I'll know more.  I've been trying to talk my dad
into giving me this machine for years and he's now coming around :-)  He
knows nothing about the details of the hardware, so I'll have to wait to
see the machine before knowing for sure it's an Indy and not a Challenge
server or something...