Re: Curious as to the status of the MIPS port...

On Wed, Aug 02, 2000 at 07:29:39PM -0400, Christopher C. Chimelis wrote:

> Hey...
>
> I was just wondering about the status of the MIPS port.  I noticed that
> the port page hasn't been updated in quite some time.

Thats only one side of the medal ...

> The reason I ask (and you may be wondering, considering I'm becoming known
> mostly for work on Alphas) is that I may be getting ahold of an SGI Indy
> for free to play with.  If I can get ahold of it, I'd be happy to help out
> with the MIPS port as well, time allowing.  Granted, my time (and
> loyalties) lie with Alpha at the moment, but if I can contribute to
> porting some of the package base to MIPS, I'd be happy to.

The mips port is progressing faster than ever - I have compiled
1800 Packages for mipsel and 2200 packages for mips
( ftp://ftp.rfc822.org/pub/local/debian-{mips,mipsel} )

Biggest problems were glibc, binutils, gcc in the past - There are finally
current working gcc, glibc, binutils variants but due to the nature
of software development they have loads of generic (not mips specific) bugs.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff		flo@rfc822.org		      	+49-5201-669912
     "If you're not having fun right now, you're wasting your time."