Re: (No Subject)

On 2021-05-21 at 07:44, Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 2021-05-21 7:30 a.m., Hunter Wittenborn wrote:
>
>>> If you want to get makedeb into Debian, then you'll need to
>>> build a Debian source package for it.

>>> If on the other hand you want to get the packages created by
>> makedeb into Debian, you're probably out of luck.

(For awareness, the above - though quoted by Hunter Wittenborn - was
actually written by me.)

> The only build system in Debian is Debian's build system based on
> .dsc source file.

In theory, it would probably be possible to have a program which takes
as input a third-party package and transforms it into a Debian source
package, then builds that into a .deb using Debian's build tools. The
resulting intermediate-step source package could then, theoretically, be
submitted for inclusion in Debian. It would be theoretically possible
for something like makedeb to be modified to use that method, rather
than producing .debs directly.

In practice this would be unlikely to produce an acceptable source-based
build (because of the "preferred form for modification" rule), so it'd
only be viable for things that would have to go into non-free because of
being opaque binary blobs to begin with - and for those I'm not sure
there'd be much benefit from such a tool. But I'm not willing to
entirely exclude it from first concepts.

--
   The Wanderer