Re: Request for peer review of clamav-unofficial-sigs

On Thu, Nov 22, 2018 at 8:15 PM Brent Clark wrote:

> Im still unclear of what I need to do here.

It is completely up to you how to represent your packaging in git.
Personally, if I have to use git at all, I like to use a Debian
packaging repository that contains only the Debian packaging and then
use the --git-overlay option to gbp-buildpackage. There are lots of
other ways to do it though.

> What I did was, I merged their contents of README.md, above CHANGELOG,
> for their README.md have changelog information.
> But looking at CHANGELOG again, I see I did it wrong.
>
> Could I not pull out the contents, from line(s) 1 - 168 and place it
> another file of your choice? That way, the changelog of both  projects
> is in one place?

The easiest thing to do would be to just forget about the old
CHANGELOG file and install only the README.md file.

The most correct thing to do would be to have eXtremeSHOK split the
list of changes out into a NEWS file, which would then automatically
get installed into the package by debhelper.

https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-docs.html#changelog-files-and-release-notes

Until eXtremeSHOK does the second option, the first option will be fine.

> Thats correct. I created a "new" config by merging upstreams
> master.conf, os.debian8.conf and user.conf in to
> clamav-unofficial-sigs.conf.
>
> in debian/dirs you will see etc/clamav-unofficial-sigs

I'd suggest using the existing upstream files instead, otherwise the
new config you created will get outdated when the eXtremeSHOK config
files change.

> > I wonder if debian/publickey.gpg is still needed.
>
> This is an interesting one, in my vagrant env, clamav-unofficial-sigs.sh
> does get publickey.gpg it self.
>
> I manually downloaded publickey.gpg and compared to your package and the
> md5sum say its the same.
>
> How about we leave it for now?

Sounds like it is still needed.

> > The eXtremeSHOK version doesn't have a clamav-unofficial-sigs.8 so
> > debian/manpages will cause dh_installman to fail.
>
> Thats correct. eXtremeSHOK wants you to run
> "/usr/local/sbin/clamav-unofficial-sigs.sh --install-man"
>
> Which creates /usr/share/man/man8/clamav-unofficial-sigs.8
>
> I took that file and updated clamav-unofficial-sigs.8 with their contents.

I would suggest running the upstream installation command in
debian/rules instead. Otherwise clamav-unofficial-sigs.8 will get
outdated when the script changes.

> > If you ever decide to get this into Debian, debian/copyright needs to
> > be updated for the new copyrights of eXtremeSHOK.
>
> I may need you to please peer review here. Im not really sure what needs
> to be done here.
> I updated it with the upstreams details.

You've removed Bill Landry's copyright notice. Since eXtremeSHOK
didn't rewrite the script from scratch, Bill still retains copyright
on clamav-unofficial-sigs so debian/copyright should contain his
copyright too.

https://github.com/extremeshok/clamav-unofficial-sigs/blob/master/LICENSE

BTW, here is the documentation about the copyright format:

https://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/copyright-format/1.0/

> > You might want to add yourself to Uploaders in debian/control.
>
> Im not really phased by the recognition, I just want it all right.

The Uploaders field has commas separating each item.
Packages in Debian need to have correct maintainer information.
While you are at it, you can remove me from Uploaders.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise