Re: Build-depending on non-free package

On Tue, Sep 02, 2014 at 05:43:15PM +0200, Ole Streicher wrote:
> > It requires manually vetoing which packages from non-free are safe to
> > be used as contrib build dependencies (much like we manually veto what
> > packages from non-free can be autobuilt).
>
> Why would we need to manually select them?

We don't know what makes them non-free. The contents of the license may
have restrictions that impose legal risk.

https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/11/msg00012.html

[snip]

> > it will likely require autobuilder tooling changes to check for a
> > "xs-autobuild: yes" flag when resolving dependencies from non-free, or
> > something to that effect.

Recentish thread:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2010/09/msg00044.html

[snip]

> We want to provide a binary distribution to our end users, and we want
> to have best possible experience, right?

We want to provide a libre / *free* distribution to our end users.
Anything else is just tolerated / hosted. non-free is *not* Debian (the
distribution), it's simply hosted on Debian project infra.

Cheers,
  Paul

--
 .''`.  Paul Tagliamonte <paultag@debian.org>  |   Proud Debian Developer
: :'  : 4096R / 8F04 9AD8 2C92 066C 7352  D28A 7B58 5B30 807C 2A87