Re: Build-depending on non-free package

On Tue, Sep 02, 2014 at 02:20:59PM -0400, Paul Tagliamonte wrote:
> > We want to provide a binary distribution to our end users, and we want
> > to have best possible experience, right?
>
> We want to provide a libre / *free* distribution to our end users.
> Anything else is just tolerated / hosted. non-free is *not* Debian (the
> distribution), it's simply hosted on Debian project infra.

While I hate non-free as much as you do, it's sadly needed for way too many
reasons to dismiss it.

For example, every single non-headless computer I own requires non-free for
graphical display: nvidia (nouveau crashes hourly on my card), mali (with a
non-packaged blob), etc.  Non-free network card firmware[1].  CPU microcode
updates.

Compiler documentation, from FSF itself[2]!

Even main contains some thoroughly non-free stuff like AGPL (nasty use
restrictions).

Seriously, the world we live in sucks.  We should do all we can to replace
non-free bits, but for now, refusing for a package in contrib to autobuild
is counterproductive.

[1]. Technically, the card in question does work with firmware in ROM.  Yet
I see no reason non-free code in ROM would be better than bug-fixed non-free
code loaded from disk that updates it.

[2]. And it's not an issue of just immutable sections.  GFDL without those
is accepted in main for political reasons, despite forbidding such use as
chmod o-r or locking the door to your server room with technological means
known as a "key".

--
// If you believe in so-called "intellectual property", please immediately
// cease using counterfeit alphabets.  Instead, contact the nearest temple