Re: Build-depending on non-free package

On Tue, 02 Sep 2014, Ole Streicher wrote:
> The policy manual says (2.2.2):
>
> | The contrib archive area contains supplemental packages intended to
> | work with the Debian distribution, but which require software outside
> | of the distribution to either build or function.
>                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Which lists a non-free build requirement as its first use case of contrib.

Yeah, but as I said, this doesn't mean it will be autobuildable. It won't
be, at least not yet.

> > Contrib is well-suited to packages that require non-free data.  It has
> > always had a problem when there are build-time dependencies on
> > non-free.
>
> Sure. The bug #690282 is two years old. All I ask here is how this can
> be changed, or what the effective way is to support all platforms
> here -- especially for a DM without abusing his mentor.

It is not trivial to address this request.

It requires manually vetoing which packages from non-free are safe to be
used as contrib build dependencies (much like we manually veto what packages
from non-free can be autobuilt).

AFAIK, even if ftp-master decides to bless every non-free auto-buildable
package to automatically be an acceptable build-time dependency for contrib,
it will likely require autobuilder tooling changes to check for a
"xs-autobuild: yes" flag when resolving dependencies from non-free, or
something to that effect.

Chances are it won't happen anytime soon.

> > Actually, for a *long* time we didn't even autobuild anything in contrib or
> > non-free.
>
> So, the first step is done, but not the second?

Yes.  To be clear: AFAIK you currently have four choices:

1. Find a sponsor which will build it on the interesting arches.

2. Move it to non-free and get it vetoed as auto-buildable (requires that
   its license and the license of its non-free build-dependencies allow
   this).  This isn't really supposed to work, but AFAIK we trust people
   will not abuse it, so it should work.

3. Get rid of the non-free build-dependency.

4. Forget about providing pre-built binary packages for the other arches,
   and write a cookbook for your users to build the binary packages
   themselves from the debian source package.

   This can cause problems for testing migration.

  Henrique Holschuh