Re: Build-depending on non-free package

On Thu, 14 Aug 2014, Оlе Ѕtrеісhеr wrote:
> Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:
> > Also, dak is canonical for priorities, and values in binary packages
> > are only used on initial upload to set the initial override value.
> > From that point forward, changes have to be made via bugs filed with
> > ftp.debian.org.
>
> The package in question was initially uploaded.

Initial priorities are set by the ftpmaster that accepted the package from
NEW.  They may, or may not match the ones in the package's priority field.

i.e. that field is an _advisory_ field.

> > It's possible that Policy could stand some work to make this clearer.
>
> .... or the process should be adjusted to follow the policy (at least
> this is what I would usually expect).

Debian policy does not dictate practice.  It documents best practice.  You
can deviate from it, but you must have really strong _technical_ reasons to
do so.

Archive priorities are at the sole discretion of the ftpmasters.  If
anything, debian-policy would be updated to match reality.

That said, if something *needs* source package priorities to work, I suppose
a case can be made that they should be set to that of the highest priority
binary package built from that source.  But that would be a dynamic
priority, set by dak (the archive software), I guess.  It really depends on
what the usecase for source package priorities would be.

  Henrique Holschuh