Re: Build-depending on non-free package

debian-devel@liska.ath.cx (Оlе Ѕtrеісhеr) writes:
> Ansgar Burchardt <ansgar@debian.org> writes:

>> As I don't really care about Priority and Section for source packages, I
>> haven't thought further about this and dak currently uses misc:extra for
>> all of them.

> Policy, 5.6.6: Priority

> | This field represents how important it is that the user have the
> | package installed. See Priorities, Section 2.5.
> |
> | When it appears in the debian/control file, it gives the value for the
> | subfield of the same name in the Files field of the .changes file. It
> | also gives the default for the same field in the binary packages.

> Which means: If this is set, i *must* be taken as default for the binary
> packages (everything else would be a policy violation and therefor an RC
> bug, right?).

I'm pretty sure that default is applied before dak ever sees the binary
package priority.  (In other words, it's expanded via the build process
before priorities are added to the *.changes file.)

Also, dak is canonical for priorities, and values in binary packages are
only used on initial upload to set the initial override value.  From that
point forward, changes have to be made via bugs filed with ftp.debian.org.

It's possible that Policy could stand some work to make this clearer.