Re: Renaming a package and its corresponding debug package

* Ghislain Vaillant <ghisvail@gmail.com>, 2014-05-31, 10:16:
"apt-get install" would likely figure the correct order of debs. However, "apt-get dist-upgrade" won't know how to upgrade the old packages. So you probably need transitional packages:
https://wiki.debian.org/Renaming_a_Package

A transitional package would probably be overkill for a package whose sole reverse dependency is its debug package. Besides, the package is fairly new to the main archive, so damages are likely to remain very limited if not inexistent.

Well, the packages have non-zero popcon... But maybe you're right it would be overkill.

Could I just indicate the change in NEWS so apt-listchanges indicate that breackage could happen if the -dbg is installed and that the solution is to just let aptitude remove it and install the renamed -dbg ?

As I understand it, no breakage should happen; it's just the packages won't get upgraded (unless the user manually requests to install those with new names).

--
Jakub Wilk