Re: Renaming a package and its corresponding debug package

* Ghislain Vaillant <ghisvail@gmail.com>, 2014-05-30, 15:45:
Basically, if I install python-fftw3 and call `dpkg -i python-pyfftw.deb`, then dpkg figures out the replacement, uninstall python-fftw3 and configure and install python-pyfftw.

If I install python-fftw3-dbg, and python-fftw3 automatically as a result the dependency, then `dpkg -i python-pyfftw.deb python-pyfftw-dbg.deb` does figure out the replacement of the -dbg package but fails on the main package.

Try in the opposite order:
dpkg -i python-pyfftw-dbg.deb python-pyfftw.deb

"apt-get install" would likely figure the correct order of debs. However, "apt-get dist-upgrade" won't know how to upgrade the old packages. So you probably need transitional packages:
https://wiki.debian.org/Renaming_a_Package

--
Jakub Wilk