Re: Renaming a package and its corresponding debug package

* Ghislain Vaillant <ghisvail@gmail.com>, 2014-05-30, 09:44:

Now say I want to rename the -foo suffix into -bar for both package python-foo and python-foo-dbg. The debian developer's reference suggests to Conflicts/Replaces/Provides the old name and change the name of the package to the new name in the corresponding d/control entries. I tried it and it worked well for python-foo to python-bar. However, dpkg does not handle the transition from python-foo-dbg to python-bar-dbg properly. You can find more information about the dpkg commands and modifications to d/control of the package in the original post linked above.

The modifications you made look all right too me:

Package: python-pyfftw-dbg
Architecture: any
Section: debug
Depends:
${misc:Depends},
${python:Depends},
${shlibs:Depends},
python-pyfftw (= ${binary:Version})
Recommends:
python-dbg,
python-numpy-dbg
Provides: python-fftw3-dbg
Conflicts: python-fftw3-dbg
Replaces: python-fftw3-dbg

We probably need more information about this. You only wrote that "dpkg fails to perform the upgrade". But what exactly did you do, and how did it fail?

--
Jakub Wilk