Renaming a package and its corresponding debug package

Hi everyone,

I have posted my particular issue in the d-science list
( https://lists.debian.org/debian-science/2014/05/msg00052.html ) but
thought it might be a better fit for here.

Basically, I have a python package foo, named python-foo and its debug
package python-foo-dbg, which version depends on python-foo.

Now say I want to rename the -foo suffix into -bar for both package
python-foo and python-foo-dbg. The debian developer's reference suggests
to Conflicts/Replaces/Provides the old name and change the name of the
package to the new name in the corresponding d/control entries. I tried
it and it worked well for python-foo to python-bar. However, dpkg does
not handle the transition from python-foo-dbg to python-bar-dbg
properly. You can find more information about the dpkg commands and
modifications to d/control of the package in the original post linked
above.

Does anyone know a solution to this ?

Cheers,

Ghis