Re: permission to write to /usr/local/share/packagename

Hi mentors,

I'm putting my thoughts together. I think what I'm trying to ask is
how to make it work "manually"?

Suppose I do the following:

Step 1: binary
 gcc myapp.c -o myapp
 sudo cp myapp /usr/games/

Step 2: prepare translations:

 mkdir -p /usr/share/locale/en/LC_MESSAGES
 xgettext -k_ --flag=_:1:pass-c-format -d myapp -s -o myapp.pot myapp.c
 msginit -l en_US -o en_US-myapp.po -i myapp.pot
 msgfmt -c -v -o en_US-myapp.mo en_US-myapp.po
 sudo cp en_US-myapp.mo /usr/share/locale/en/LC_MESSAGES/myapp.mo

Step 3: scores:

mkdir -p /var/games/myapp/
cp myapp.scores /var/games/myapp/

Then I probably need to get some permissions right. Here is the problem. I did:

For the binary:
chown root:games /usr/games/myapp

For the score directory and file:
chown root:games /var/games/myapp
chown root:games /var/games/myapp/myapp
chmod g+w /var/games/myapp
chmod g+w /var/games/myapp/myapp

I suppose that is all I have to do. But myapp still tells me
"permission denied".

Holding my breath!

Beco.

--
Dr Beco
A.I. researcher

"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye." (H. Jackson Brown Jr.)