Re: permission to write to /usr/local/share/packagename

On 4 October 2013 18:23, Martin Eberhard Schauer
<Martin.E.Schauer@gmx.de> wrote:

> There is a difference between building some software and installing it. You
> need root rights for installations beyond your home directory.
>
> Cheers,
>    Martin

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the help. Are you saying that my program can't run
correctly until I install it?

If I make a program (using VI and writing a C code) that tries to save
a file "gamex.scores" under /var/games, then I compile it with a
simple gcc command (forget make, and configure for now), the program
won't work because of permissions?

I tried this simple command under bash:
$ touch /var/games/test.txt
permission denied!

I added myself to group games, but to no avail.

What is the miracle? After installing with root permissions, the game
won't run with root permission, will it?

Please, help clarifying this topic. I'm not getting it.

Tx,
Beco.