Re: permission to write to /usr/local/share/packagename

>> Following the suggestion from Maysima (Linux-fan name?), after reading
>> something about hierarchy, I'm using the following structure:

First of all, you've decided to work with Debian. I recommend not to use
$(random cookbook/advice), but Debian docs instead, asking here ore filing
bugs whenever your question is not/seems not to be answered (yet) in the
Debian docs.

>> /usr/local/game for the binary
>> /usr/local/share/locale for the language file ".mo"
>> /usr/local/share/packagename for the data file.
> You shouldn't put anything in /usr/local.

When I dived into Linux, there was the following workflow:
 - download the tarball,
 - extract it (tar xzf),
 - cd into new directory ->
     ./configure
     make
     make install

I'm quite shure that configure's default was to choose /usr/local and its
subdirectories as default. It was quite instructive as well to see that $PATH did not include /usr/local ;-). Building some .rpm/.deb is different from the
workflow described in the last paragraph. Look for files such as READ.ME,
INSTALL, … And try ./configure --help.

>> What I'm not getting is that I have no write permissions to this
>> directory where the data will be.

There is a difference between building some software and installing it. You
need root rights for installations beyond your home directory.

Cheers,
   Martin