permission to write to /usr/local/share/packagename

Hi guys,

Following the suggestion from Maysima (Linux-fan name?), after reading
something about hierarchy, I'm using the following structure:

/usr/local/game for the binary
/usr/local/share/locale for the language file ".mo"
/usr/local/share/packagename for the data file.

What I'm not getting is that I have no write permissions to this
directory where the data will be.

How can my program fopen("/usr/local/share/pname/pname.dat", "w"); ?

Also, will I hardcode this path? For now I'm just finishing the code,
so I can start preparing the packaging.

Of course, the packaging may have rules to state where do the ".dat"
file goes, so I'm kind of lost here too. But this is a second stage.

For now I just want my program to run in the correct places, write the
data in the correct directory.

Thanks any light here.

Beco.

--
Dr Beco
A.I. researcher

"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye." (H. Jackson Brown Jr.)