Re: Empty binary package

On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 21:57:14 +0200, Paul Gevers wrote:

>>> So how do you do the last step? And why is building from your source
>>> package any different than your first step with -us -uc? What do you
>>> do EXACTLY when you "build from the source package", i.e. please
>>> provide all the copy and build commands. It is NOT empty if I try it
>>
>> The last steps are just as normal.
>
> Sorry, but what means "as normal" for you? What command do you use?
> $ debian/rules binary $ debuild # in the source tree $
> some-other-fancy-command $ pdebuild # as I did

  debuild -us -uc

>> Did you try to build debian binary package from there?
>
> So please tell me what you mean with this sentence, I just don't know
> what you mean.

build debian binary package from the source package that you just built.

>> I'll get back to you in specific details later, but again just as
>> normal.

This is EXACTLY what I did (in a empty directory):

  dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/libp/libpam-ssh-agent-
auth/libpam-ssh-agent-auth_0.9.5-2.dsc

  dpkg-source -x *.dsc
  cd libpam-ssh-agent-auth-0.9.5/

  debuild -us -uc

As normal as building any binary package to me.

The binary package built this way is empty.

>>Meanwhile, when I said that "the binary package is empty", as I
>> explained in my OP, I meant that the built binary package will not
>> contains the files that I want. I.e., it contains nothing except the
>> copyright & changelog files.
>
> That part was fully clear to me. And as I said, in my tries it was
> always there.

So you did the above normal steps as building any binary package but get
different result? Or did you do something more than normal?

>> As a reference, you can also build from my source package (which has
>> fixed all the problems you told me to fix):
>>
>> http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/libp/libpam-ssh-agent-auth/
>> libpam-ssh-agent-auth_0.9.5-2.dsc
>
> Now we are getting somewhere. At least we can see what you have been
> trying and inspect your commands. You have two build targets in your
> rules file. The second overwrites the first results and installs to a
> weird location:
> /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 pam_ssh_agent_auth.8
> /tmp/buildd/libpam-ssh-agent-auth-0.9.5/debian/tmp/tmp/buildd/libpam-
ssh-agent-auth-0.9.5/debian/tmp/usr/share/man/cat8/pam_ssh_agent_auth.8

>> And see if you can get anything other than the copyright & changelog
>> files into the binary package.
>
> Sure, remove the second build target

Are you saying changing the line

  binary: binary-indep binary-arch

into:

  binary: binary-indep # binary-arch

to remove the second binary build target?

I got the following error when doing that:

  /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 pam_ssh_agent_auth.8 /systems/b/libpam-ssh-
agent-auth/test-mine/libpam-ssh-agent-auth-0.9.5/debian/tmp/usr//share/
man/man8/pam_ssh_agent_auth.8
  /usr/bin/install -c -m 755 pam_ssh_agent_auth.so /systems/b/libpam-ssh-
agent-auth/test-mine/libpam-ssh-agent-auth-0.9.5/debian/tmp/lib/security/
pam_ssh_agent_auth.so
  make[1]: Leaving directory `/systems/b/libpam-ssh-agent-auth/test-mine/
libpam-ssh-agent-auth-0.9.5'
   dpkg-genchanges  >../libpam-ssh-agent-auth_0.9.5-2_i386.changes
  dpkg-genchanges: error: cannot read files list file: No such file or
directory
  dpkg-buildpackage: error: dpkg-genchanges gave error exit status 2
  debuild: fatal error at line 1357:
  dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -D -us -uc failed

If you talked about the

  build %:
	  dh $@

line, I put them there because I want to fix the following lintian issues:

  W: libpam-ssh-agent-auth source: debian-rules-missing-recommended-
target build-arch
  W: libpam-ssh-agent-auth source: debian-rules-missing-recommended-
target build-indep

How else should I fix it then?

> and additionally, there are several
> control files that need renaming as you renamed the package.
> pam-ssh-agent-auth.* need to renamed to libpam-ssh-agent-auth.* if that
> is the name of your package. These files contain instructions for dh_*
> commands. Fixing those two issues, the package builds again with files
> in the deb.

Thanks