Re: Empty binary package

Hi Tong,

On 19-07-13 15:14, T o n g wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 08:38:49 +0200, Paul Gevers wrote:
>> Which I don't have anymore, so indeed please repeat it if you want my
>> help.
>
> It was still included in the message that I previously replied.

Sure. therefore the word "indeed".

>>> - I then build the upstream into *source package* with 'debuild -S
>>> -sa',
>>> and then build the binary debian package *from this source package*.
>>> The binary package built this way is however empty.
>>
>> So how do you do the last step? And why is building from your source
>> package any different than your first step with -us -uc? What do you do
>> EXACTLY when you "build from the source package", i.e. please provide
>> all the copy and build commands. It is NOT empty if I try it
>
> The last steps are just as normal.

Sorry, but what means "as normal" for you? What command do you use?
$ debian/rules binary
$ debuild # in the source tree
$ some-other-fancy-command
$ pdebuild # as I did

> I'll get back to you in specific details later, but again just as
> normal. Meanwhile, when I said that "the binary package is empty", as
> I explained in my OP, I meant that the built binary package will not
> contains the files that I want. I.e., it contains nothing except the
> copyright & changelog files.

That part was fully clear to me. And as I said, in my tries it was
always there.

> Did you try to build debian binary package from there?

So please tell me what you mean with this sentence, I just don't know
what you mean.

> As a reference, you can also build from my source package (which has
> fixed all the problems you told me to fix):
>
> http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/libp/libpam-ssh-agent-auth/
> libpam-ssh-agent-auth_0.9.5-2.dsc

Now we are getting somewhere. At least we can see what you have been
trying and inspect your commands. You have two build targets in your
rules file. The second overwrites the first results and installs to a
weird location:
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 pam_ssh_agent_auth.8
/tmp/buildd/libpam-ssh-agent-auth-0.9.5/debian/tmp/tmp/buildd/libpam-ssh-agent-auth-0.9.5/debian/tmp/usr/share/man/cat8/pam_ssh_agent_auth.8

> And see if you can get anything other than the copyright & changelog
> files into the binary package.

Sure, remove the second build target and additionally, there are several
control files that need renaming as you renamed the package.
pam-ssh-agent-auth.* need to renamed to libpam-ssh-agent-auth.* if that
is the name of your package. These files contain instructions for dh_*
commands. Fixing those two issues, the package builds again with files
in the deb.

Of course this doesn't mean your finished, but at least you can proceed
from there.

Paul