Re: upstream changelog in XML format

Thanks for your reply:

On 23/01/12 19:54, Samuel Bronson wrote:
On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 1:08 AM, Jerome BENOIT<g6299304p@rezozer.net>  wrote:
Hello List:

I am working on the bibtool package.
  The changelog of the upstream package is in XML format and is named
`Changes.xml'.

Right now, I manage it by adding an override in the debian/rules file:

override_dh_installchangelogs:
  dh_installchangelogs --keep Changes.xml

Nevertheless, nothing is really done, in particular `Changes.xml' is not
converted in text.
I put the `--keep' option because I suspect that this kind of changelog file
is a well know
format in some `field' (even if I can not figure out which `field').

Hmm. According to policy (section 12.7 of  version 3.9.2.0):

,----
|      If an upstream changelog is available, it should be accessible as
|      `/usr/share/doc/<package>/changelog.gz' in plain text.  If the
|      upstream changelog is distributed in HTML, it should be made available
|      in that form as `/usr/share/doc/<package>/changelog.html.gz' and a
|      plain text `changelog.gz' should be generated from it using, for
|      example, `lynx -dump -nolist'.  If the upstream changelog files do not
|      already conform to this naming convention, then this may be achieved
|      either by renaming the files, or by adding a symbolic link, at the
|      maintainer's discretion.[1]
`----

This would seem to imply that you shouldn't be installing a file named
"changelog.gz" containing anything other than (gzipped) plain text.  I
think that, if you install it, you should probably install it as
"Changes.xml.gz".

The --keep option link `Changes.xml.gz' to `changelog.gz':
I am agree that it is not perfect, but at least lintian does not complain.

Is there a better way to deal with this `Changes.xml' ?
I guess that I can add some stuff in the makefile to convert it in text
format:
do specific tools exist to convert this kind of changelog in text format ?

If I were you, I'd ask upstream about that

I have just sent a couple of questions about it to the upstream maintainer.

, or (since a quick google
shows that this is a TeX-related program) ask about it on
<http://tex.stackexchange.com>  (a Q&A site about TeX with loads of
extremely helpful people on it).

The Q&A are about [La]TeX.
BibTool is mainly a tool to manipulate BibTeX databases,
and as such it is not directly related to [La]TeX.

Then, I'd pass the (html or plaintext) output of any such tool to
dh_installchangelogs, rather than passing Changes.xml.

I will do that if there is an unambigous way to convert it:
what is really needed is it schema, which should be in its header.

Thanks,
Jerome