Re: AGPL (was Re: Please try expo.debian.net)

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 10:06:25PM +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:
> I can't see how someone can claim that AGPL is a free software
> license.
[...]

I was recently reviewing some new software (a FUSE backend) for an
acquaintance who wanted to release it under AGPL3. I did mention to
him the BSD-advertising-clause-like issues with the Affero
provisions in the license, including the additional burdens it
places on derivers of the software who may not reuse pieces of it in
the way he envisioned. More concerning, however, his software also
links against libmysqlclient which (starting with 4.0 at least) is
GPL2-only with a slew of linking exceptions for other licenses
including (very recently) GPL3, but none for AGPL3. My IANAL opinion
is that this would make binary distribution of the program outright
impossible...
--
{ IRL(Jeremy_Stanley); WWW(http://fungi.yuggoth.org/); PGP(43495829);
WHOIS(STANL3-ARIN); SMTP(fungi@yuggoth.org); FINGER(fungi@yuggoth.org);