Re: RFS: hashalot

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 06:28:23PM +0200, Jakub Wilk wrote:
> * Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl>, 2011-07-26, 15:24:

> >>Did you verify that your new d/rules does everything that the
> >>old one did?
> >
> >Yes, actually it does a bit more: the old one failed to install
> >the upstream changelog.
> FWIW, that's because of bumping debheleper compat to 7.
> >I just checked that it cross-builds correctly too, dh is smart
> >enough to disable the testsuite on cross builds like the old
> >d/rules did.
> What raised my suspicion was that that the old d/rules had:
> | ifneq "$(wildcard /usr/share/misc/config.sub)" ""
> |         cp -f /usr/share/misc/config.sub config.sub
> | endif
> | ifneq "$(wildcard /usr/share/misc/config.guess)" ""
> |         cp -f /usr/share/misc/config.guess config.guess
> | endif
> dh certainly doesn't do anything like that. Granted, this code was
> silly[0] and, in this particular case, completely unnecessary[1],
> but I'd prefer to learn about such changes from the changelog.

On the contrary! dh can very well do such things! But it's required to pass
--with autotools_dev as argument (see man dh for more detail).

Regarding the rest I'm perfectly with you that all intended changes are to
be documented in debian/changelog even if they're abbreviated in a form like
"bump all of debian/compat and Build-Depends and debian/copyright to latest
standards" or something like this. But it needs to be clear that any change
a DD can find in the debdiff is valid and intentionally put there.

Best regards,