Re: RFS: hashalot

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 02:30:51PM +0200, Jakub Wilk wrote:
> * Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl>, 2011-07-26, 13:32:
> >I'd like to ask for a sponsor for an update to hashalot (a tool
> >needed by cryptsetup, obsolete nowadays but some folks still use
> >it).
> >
> >There's just one minor documentation fix, but I also nuked the whole
> >debian/rules replacing it with oh-so-long dh two liner.
>
> Did you verify that your new d/rules does everything that the old
> one did?

Yes, actually it does a bit more: the old one failed to install the upstream
changelog.

I just checked that it cross-builds correctly too, dh is smart enough to
disable the testsuite on cross builds like the old d/rules did.

> >http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/h/hashalot/hashalot_0.3-6.dsc
>
> Rather than "debhelper (>= 8.0.0)" I'd simply use "debhelper (>=
> 8)". That way the build-dependency will be satisfied by debhelper
> 8.0.0~bpo50+2, which is currently in backports/lenny.

Good point, did it and re-uploaded to mentors (same URL).

> You bumped debian/compat, bumped standards version, added Homepage
> field - none of these things are documented in the changelog.

I do believe that such entries are spam that is counterproductive and hides
real changes:
* debian/compat is implied by migrating to dh
* updating standards is something every single sane sourceful upload does
  (lintian screaming at people helps here)
* Homepage is just moving around stuff that used to be in debian/copyright

Thus, I'd prefer to avoid useless entries.  Of course, if giving up on this
cosmetic issue would let me mooch an upload from you, I'll concede.

Meow!
--
1KB		// Yo momma uses IPv4!