Re: RE : different version numbers?

Greetings,

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 08:26:19AM +0000, PICCA Frédéric-Emmanuel wrote:
> > As library packaging is generally regarded as a difficult task, a very
> > good guide at
>
> > http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/column/libpkg-guide/libpkg-guide.html
>
> > is a recommended reading. That guide contains also very clear
> > background information on the various version numbering systems
> > possibly involved.
>
> Yes it is a good introduction, but I could not find an answer to
> that question:
>
> libX + libX-dev
>
> or
>
> libX + lib-dev
>

> It is not clear to me what is the best practice.

It is my understanding that both are possible, depending on what the
packager wishes to actually package. The most general case is that the
packager only wants to package the developement files for the last
version of the library. In that case, lib-dev is fine, because each
time that package gets installed it "overwrites" the files shipped
with the previous version.

It might happen, however, that the packager wishes to support the
developement of various versions of the library. Because two same
files can not belong to two different simultaneousy installable
packages (that would be a conflict), then it is required that the
developement files for lib1 be packaged in lib1-dev and the
development files for lib2 be packaged in lib2-dev.

Hope this helps (and is actually a correct understanding of the -dev
package naming/numbering process),

Kind regards,
Filippo

--