different version numbers?

All the different versions numbers make my brain hurt!

What is the relationship, if any, between the version number of the source
pachage and the version number of a library, which has to do with SONAME.

What do these have to do with PACKAGE_VERSION in autotools?

My up stream, has version number associated with his source tarballs,
that have nothing to do with debian or Linux, because he does not develop
with Linux in mind. All though he does build a Linux static library.

--
Paul Elliott                               1(512)837-1096
pelliott@BlackPatchPanel.com               PMB 181, 11900 Metric Blvd Suite J